Zucchini with Onion and Garlic
My little trick for taking some of the water out of the Zucchini before it's sauteed helps this side dish to saute up beautifully without being soggy.
- 1 medium zucchini or Summer Squash you can also use both Summer squash and Zucchini if they are small.
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 heaping Tablespoon minced jarred garlic
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Salt and Peeper to taste while sautéing
- Good pinch of salt to place on the zucchini to drain it of water
Place the sliced Zucchini or Summer Squash into a colander. Place the colander into a large bowl. Sprinkle the sliced Zucchini with a good dash of salt. Place a small serving plate on top of the zucchini and press down firmly. Set a side for at least 2 hours.
Place a heavy duty skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) onto a stove burner under medium heat. Place the oil and butter in the hot pan followed by the drained zucchini, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute until onion is caramelized to a golden brown, stirring frequently. Serve immediately.