Garden Primavera With Ham or Chicken
This is a vegetable packed dinner that has many options as far as vegetables that can be used to make it. Making it with either cooked ham , cooked chicken or leaving the meat out entirely adds more versatility to the dish.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen thawed green beans, cut in half
- 1 cup fresh carrots sliced thin
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 12 ounces fettuccine 1 package
- 1 red pepper sliced thin
- 1 medium size onion cut into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese more to top serving with if desired
- 1/3 cup cooked ham cut into thin strips, or left over cooked grilled chicken or a rotisserie chicken
- 2 Teaspoons fresh or dried basil
In a large saucepan cook green beans and carrots in a small amount of salted boiling water for about 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and red peppers, bring up to a boil then reduce the heat. Cover and cook 5 minutes until vegetables are crisp but tender. Drain the vegetables.
While the vegetables are cooking,cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta after it's done and add the vegetables you already cooked to the pasta, keep warm while you make the sauce.
For the sauce
Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan, when it's hot and bubbly add the onions and garlic, cook for about 5 minutes until tender but not browned. Stir in the chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
In a small bowl whisk the cream and flour together. Add the cream mixture the chicken broth. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Add the Parmesan cheese, basil and ham. Cook and stir 1 minute. Pour sauce over the pasta and vegetables, toss to combine. Serve immediately. Sprinkle more Parmesan over individual servings if desired.