Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is my husband Paul’s favorite cake. This is a homemade cake with sour cream in the batter. The sour cream makes the cake light, soft and fluffy, we wouldn’t want it any other way would we?
The top of the cake is a mixture of brown sugar and butter studded with pineapple rings, maraschino cherries and pecans. It’s baked in a 10 inch cast iron pan to golden delicious. Perfect with a cup of coffee or a big glass of milk. Homemade goodness from our house to yours, Enjoy!
- One 20 oz can Pineapple slices in their own juice
- 1/4 cup pecan halves or pieces
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stick of butter plus 4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 7 maraschino cherries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Pan used, 10 inch cast iron skillet
- 1. Drain pineapple slices and pat dry, you’ll be using 7 slices of pineapple. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt, whisk to combine. Set aside.
- 3.In a small bowl combine the sour cream and vanilla, stir to combine. Set aside.
- 4. Place your cast iron skillet over low heat, place the 4 tablespoons of butter in the skillet and heat until just melted. Add the brown sugar and cook and stir just until the sugar melts.
- 5. Place 1 pineapple ring in the center of the skillet, position the other rings in a circle around it. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple ring. Place pecans in the open spaces around the pineapple rings.
- 6. Beat the 1 stick of butter and the white sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Scraping the bowl as needed. Reduce mixer speed and add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 7. Add the flour and sour cream to the mixture alternately, flour first, sour cream, flour, sour cream and then the last of the flour. Beating until just incorporated with each addition. Spoon the thick batter over the pineapple slices, smoothing it out evenly
- 8. Place the cast iron pan in the oven, bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and immediately turn it over onto a plate. If any of the pineapple sticks to the pan , remove it with a spatula and place back on the cake.
If you liked this recipe, you may enjoy these.