There are so many occasions when this delicious ,easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole would be welcomed. A weekend breakfast so mom can enjoy the morning without being rushed. A holiday breakfast, for stay over guests. Breakfast for dinner, one of our favorites! This would be a fantastic Brunch idea as well. Let’s take a peek at just how easy it is to put together…
While I was getting my ingredients ready, I thought I’d take a shot of the sausage I was using. This is just the brand we had in the freezer, you can use what ever brand you like and whatever flavor you like. You can also make this using diced ham or crumbled bacon to give you one breakfast casserole with three variations. Versatility and easy to prepare, you’ve got to love it.
Place the sausage, green and red peppers and chopped onions in a skillet, cook until sausage is browned and peppers and onions are sauteed nicely.
Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan with shortening, spread the bread cubes evenly in the pan. Spoon the sausage mixture over the bread cubes. Sprinkle the casserole with grated cheese. In a large bowl whisk the eggs, milk, dry mustard and salt and pepper together. Pour over the casserole, cover with foil and place in the refrigerator to bake in the morning. In the morning, preheat your oven to 350 degrees, remove the foil and bake for about 50 minutes or until casserole is puffed and center is set. Breakfast can be easy and delicious when you make a Sausage Breakfast Casserole, Enjoy!
- 8 slices Italian bread, cut into cubes
- 1 pound pork sausage, hot or regular flavor
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green peppers,chopped
- 1/2 cup red peppers,chopped
- 1 medium onion,chopped
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grease a 13x9 baking pan with shortening.
- 1. In a skillet, cook the sausage, green peppers, red peppers and onion until thoroughly cooked through.
- 2. Spread the Italian bread cubes evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- 3. Spoon the pork/pepper/onion mixture over the bread cubes evenly. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- 4. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, milk, dry mustard and salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Pour over the casserole. Cover the casserole with foil and refrigerate until the morning.
- 5. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, Remove foil and bake for 50 minutes or until casserole is puffed and center is set.
- Slice and serve.