SemiFreddo was one of those dessert that I always wanted to try but just never got around to making. I could just kick myself in the butt for waiting so long! This was dessert for a family dinner at our house. Oh my….the cool creaminess, the perfect lemon flavor accompanied by a splash of blueberry…it was luscious. It’s a flavor combination that makes you sit there and want it to keep going on and on savoring every bite. It’s like eating the best ice cream you’ve ever had in your entire life. A fantastic cool, light, creamy ending to any dinner. This is one amazing dessert! Oh yes, I’ll be making this again in lots of different flavors!! Enjoy!
Lemon SemiFreddo with Blueberries
Inspired by Epicurious
1 3/4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 cups sugar
7 large egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon regular lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen thaw) crushed slightly to give off it’s juice.
Line a metal or glass 9x5x3 loaf pan with plastic wrap, making sure you have over hang.
1. With an electric mixer beat the whipped cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form, refrigerate.
2. Combine the sugar,egg yolks,lemon juice, lemon peel and salt in a large METAL bowl and whisk together till combined.
3. Place the metal bowl over a large pot of simmering water and whisk ( don’t just stir with the whisk, you need to whisk it). Whisk until your mixture looks fluffy and thick and an instant read thermometer reads 170 degrees, this will probably take about 5 minutes or so.
4. Once your mixture is fluffy and thick remove the bowl from over the pot. Place the mixture in a large bowl. With an electric mixer beat until it is double in volume and has cooled down.
5. Fold in your whipped cream. Pour into your prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top. Tap your loaf pan on the kitchen counter to get any air bubbles out. Take the plastic over hang and cover the semifreedo, freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
6. To serve, remove from the freezer, fold back the plastic wrap. Remove the semifreddo from the pan by flipping it over, remove the plastic wrap. Slice and plate the semifreddo ,garnish with blueberries. (Tip, using a heavy large knife dipped in hot water makes cutting the semifreddo very easy.)
Here’s another cool delicious summertime dessert, Homemade Coffee Ice Cream Drumsticks